Won't Start on Vista 64

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:58 PM
Edited Oct 27, 2007 at 1:58 PM
I tried installing it on my desktop, running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, but it doesn't seem to start up. When I launch it the splash logo pops up and for a very brief moment a small window. I'm not sure what that window is as it dissappears very quickly. When I check the task manager PaperBoyEnv.exe is still running (as a 32-bit process). Any thoughts on this?
Coordinator
Oct 31, 2007 at 4:52 PM
I developed Paperboy on your same environment so I can confirm that it works on Vista x64. It works as 32bit because it integrates IE and other addin that doesn't work properly on 64bit. Can you tell me how many feeds have you got into IE? Do you see a systray icon? Do you see the taskbar title?
Oct 31, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Ricciolo wrote:
I developed Paperboy on your same environment so I can confirm that it works on Vista x64. It works as 32bit because it integrates IE and other addin that doesn't work properly on 64bit. Can you tell me how many feeds have you got into IE? Do you see a systray icon? Do you see the taskbar title?

I see the splash and then a smaller window (disappears pretty quickly so I can't tell what it is). Currently I ame running all my feeds out of Feedreader 3 right now so there is only one feed in my IE feeds (though I tried it with none). Are there any other dependencies I might not have installed? I have VS 2008 Beta 2 installed, maybe I should try downloading the source and running it through the debugger.
Coordinator
Nov 1, 2007 at 11:09 AM
Ok, the problem is .NET Framework 3.5 because another person said me that he has this problem. I will test Paperboy on 3.5 as soon as possibile so I can resolve this trouble.
Thanks
Nov 1, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Ricciolo wrote:
Ok, the problem is .NET Framework 3.5 because another person said me that he has this problem. I will test Paperboy on 3.5 as soon as possibile so I can resolve this trouble.
Thanks

Thanks, if I have time I'll download the source and try to see if I can figure it out myself.
Nov 19, 2007 at 6:38 PM
I'm having the same problem on both XP and Vista, both of which just had 3.0 and not 3.5 installed.

I downloaded the source and everything compiled in VS2005 just fine.

When I ran in debug mode, I got an error that it couldn't find mainwindow.xaml, but that went away when I did a full rebuild for some reason. But it's come back intermittently, always solved by a full rebuild. Not sure what that's about.

After that, I still get an error at startup. It happens in MainWindow.cs at the line:

feedSource.Source = this.feedsManager.RootFolder.FoldersAndFeeds;

I get a target invocation exception.

I browsed into it, and the right side of the expression is fine. But setting feedSource calls a bunch of external code that eventually ends up trying to construct a FeedListCollectionView, but with null arguments. Apparently the base constructor makes a call to IsEmpty, which I'm now in, and that is probably what is causing the error - a null pointer exception on list.

Ok, so while still in debug mode, I changed FeedListCollectionView's IsEmpty getter to check for null:

return list==null || list.Folder.TotalItemCount == 0;

And now things seem to work. However, I don't see any way to add a new feed. Has that been implemented??
Coordinator
Nov 20, 2007 at 10:13 AM

WinstonFassett wrote:
I'm having the same problem on both XP and Vista, both of which just had 3.0 and not 3.5 installed.

I downloaded the source and everything compiled in VS2005 just fine.

When I ran in debug mode, I got an error that it couldn't find mainwindow.xaml, but that went away when I did a full rebuild for some reason. But it's come back intermittently, always solved by a full rebuild. Not sure what that's about.

After that, I still get an error at startup. It happens in MainWindow.cs at the line:

feedSource.Source = this.feedsManager.RootFolder.FoldersAndFeeds;

I get a target invocation exception.

I browsed into it, and the right side of the expression is fine. But setting feedSource calls a bunch of external code that eventually ends up trying to construct a FeedListCollectionView, but with null arguments. Apparently the base constructor makes a call to IsEmpty, which I'm now in, and that is probably what is causing the error - a null pointer exception on list.

Ok, so while still in debug mode, I changed FeedListCollectionView's IsEmpty getter to check for null:

return list==null || list.Folder.TotalItemCount == 0;

Thanks you for this bug. I will make a permanent fix.

And now things seem to work. However, I don't see any way to add a new feed. Has that been implemented??

No, it isn't implemented because you can managed it using Internet Explorer 7 and subscribe to feed navigating in desidererd site.
Jan 6, 2008 at 9:00 PM
I managed to get it to start for me (running .NET 3.5 RTM) and am in the process of transferring all of my feeds from Feedreader because I'm tired of Feedreader being so slow. What I have used so far of Paperboy I like!